First of all there is a question from many what is GDR, and this is the time I should say this. GDR stands for “General Distribution Release”, where the number 3 indicates the update version. Before this release Microsoft has done with GDR2 and GDR1 updates which has a list of enhancements and bugs fixed. Now with this update we have a major list of features that are available to the end users which makes more powerful environment for Windows Phone. As an highlight of this release the much attractive part is the bigger start screen for more Live Tiles and better accessibility options for the users. Its quite interesting I believe, as Microsoft is listening to the end users comments and fixing the issues as and when required.
Story Behind 3 in this update – As per Microsoft the number 3 for this update is of 3 major goals to be finished. The goals are
- Enable incredible new Windows Phone devices.
- Enhance the platform with new capabilities for current users and partners.
- Improve overall quality.
What are the New Features in GDR3?
Windows Phone GDR3, is a much expected release by Windows Phone enthusiasts and it involves a lot of improvements and enhancements as below.
- Higher Resolution Screens – A bigger screen which allows you to pin maximum live tiles and provide a better view.
- Hardware – Power hardware support is now available (Quad Core and Snapdragon processors)
- Driving Mode – A new feature which helps for travellers who driver from Point A to Point B, with a connected device will reduce notifications, calls, messages etc while driving.
- Few more enhancements which include, Orientation locks, Internet sharing, Wifi settings support, Storage Management support, better Bluetooth support etc which makes the update more powerful.