Initial days it was a day long process to cancel the Windows Azure Subscription by contacting the Microsoft support team through chat, email or by phone, which many of the developers and administrators find it very difficult to proceed with the cancellation. I can remember my chat with one of the support engineer to cancel the account and it took some time initially to cancel the subscription and to create a new one. But now we have a very straight forward to cancel or delete the subscription from your account easily without any support engineer or to get in touch with them to process. [more]
Previously we need to login to our account and access the link https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.php?prid=14234&st=1&wfxredirect=1&sd=gn to request for a cancellation using the links and a work flow as shown in the screen below.
But now its made really simple and we can cancel the subscription by doing the following steps:
1) Login to the Windows Azure Management Portal with your credentials.
2) Click on the Accounts tab at the top and we can see the list of available subscriptions as shown in the screen below.
3) Now click on the the subscription name (Subscription 1) and we can see the complete details of this account as shown in the screen below.
4) Now scroll down till the bottom and we can see the option to manage the subscription and the account. From the list select the option Cancel Subscription as shown below.
5) Clicking on Cancel Subscription will pop up a windows for confirming if we need to proceed with the cancellation. Note that if any data available with the subscription will be deleted and a special note will be indicated as shown in the screen below.
6) Select Yes, Cancel my subscription and its done the subscription is deleted permanently. Once the subscription is deleted we can create a new subscription and still the old subscription will be listed with the status as cancelled as shown in the screen below.